Based in Forlì, Italy
April 1st, 2022
Deceptively presented as a classic JRPG inspired by the 16bit era, "tERRORbane" is a tongue-in-cheek meta-adventure that eschews genres and tells the story of an obnoxious videogame Developer at his ﬁrst videogame project, eager to make the Player his unfortunate test subject. As a Player, you will have to endure the sloppy but funny storyline and ever-changing gameplay, in a bid to learn how to exploit bugs and surmount the impossible odds that separate you from your prize, the ending credits! The bond you'll share with the Dev will be a constant, and sometimes cumbersome, presence, guiding and bothering you throughout the game and its affectionate but vitriolic parody dioramas of the gaming media. All bugs encountered in your journey will be automatically recorded in a bug list encouraging you to collect them all. Should you manage to explore the many varied paths this story will take by reacting to your choices, and complete your bug list one hundred percent, then you will unlock the true ending of the game and hopefully learn a thing or two about what makes any game truly work.
- Text-based, multiple-choice, meta-narrative adventure.
- The Developer: fourth-wall breaking character that acts as both a narrator and an antagonist within the game.
- Funny bugs and glitches, used as elements of gameplay.
- Bug-list: in-game menu for the collection of all encountered bugs.
- Narrative branches that alter the established gameplay radically.
- Puzzles and fights that make use of player expectations against him, by overturning well-established staples of videogame history.
- Circular gameplay that encourages multiple playthroughs to explore all possible branching paths.
- True ending can be achieved by collecting all bugs in the game.
- "I appreciated both the writing and the audio/graphical presentation of this idea. Based on my own personal tastes, this is the project I'm looking forward to the most."
- Riccardo Piccinini, https://nintendon.it/
- "tERRORbane seeems like a generic fantasy JRPG... until some extremely meta glitches unravel it at its source (code) and it becomes something much more unique."
- IGN staff, https://www.ign.com/
- "The guys at BitNine Studio excel in entertaining the player with their wacky and funny twists, but also with some pure, unadulterated nonsense."
- Giampiero Ruggiero, https://www.gamesource.it/
- "One of the most peculiar and "outside the box" esperiences, between the many projects proposed by AESVI."
- GV staff, http://www.gamesvillage.it/
- "The comedic makeup of the game has managed to convince us instantly."
- Andrea Fontanesi, https://www.everyeye.it/
- "tERRORbane is a genius product, a video game that makes fun of video game development."
- Simone Pettine, https://multiplayer.it/
Project Manager, Lead Programmer